Weddingbells’ Annual Reader Survey reveals the most recent wedding trends and facts from Canadian brides getting ready to walk down the aisle.
From January 2013 to March 2013 more than 2,200 brides and brides-to-be dished about their impending nuptials on everything from engagements and relationships to style, traditions and the final bill.
Highlights from this year’s survey include:
- There will be an estimated 165,297 weddings in Canada during 2013.
- December remains the most popular time to get engaged with 23% of men popping the question that month.
- 49% of weddings will occur between July and September. The most popular month to marry in is August. September has edged out July for second most popular month for the second consecutive year.
- The expected cost of a wedding is up 5% versus 2012.
- The average number of wedding guests is 124.
- While traditional weddings are the most popular type of wedding, “less formal” weddings are quickly gaining in popularity.
- In 2012, only 25 percent of those recently married undertook a DIY project such as making their own centrepieces, reception décor or guest favours. In 2013, this number doubled to more than half.
- 12% of Canadian brides are planning on having a destination wedding.
Click through the slides below to see more specifics on rings, planning, registries and honeymoons. Well also fill you in on how Canadian brides are using the web and show you the average Canadian wedding budget breakdown.
A national sample of 2,220 engaged readers participated in the survey. Confidence interval: +/-2.1%, 19 times out of 20.
View our reader survey results from 2012 and see how wedding trends in Canada are changing over the years.