Last week, Toronto-based bridal designer Lea Ann Belter gave a sneak peak at 10 stunning new gowns—her Spring 2012 collection—at her Queen Street East boutique. Models waltzed casually through the showroom giving us a chance to see all 10 designs up-close-and-personal. Belter is known for her chic and classically styled dresses that feature simple but luxe detailing and tailoring. In her new collection, I spied lace, bubble hemlines, a cap-sleeves and feathers. I asked her what the big trends for the coming bridal season are, ones for you to keep in mind when shopping for your 2012 wedding dress. Here’s five of Belter’s top ones.
1. Three-dimensional detailing. Feathers, rosettes and textures that are tactile and pop off the dress.
2. Strapless. In spite of Kate Middelton’s sleeved McQueen gown, the strapless silhouette will continue to be hot.
3. Petit Flowers. Many of Belter’s spring gowns were trimmed with the most delicate of blooms, seen on the bodice, on the skirt and along the hemline.
4. Soft, fluted silhouettes. Instead of a full mermaid skirt, dress shapes are softer and more controlled with skirt volume starting below the hip instead of at the waist.
5. Lace. Here is where Kate Middelton’s influence is definitely felt. All-over lace dresses, or ones featuring the material solely on the bodice or the skirt are hot.
Belter’s collection is now available for order. For more info or to see images from the event, visit her website.