It seems in the past week, I’ve chatted with a bevy of brides tying the knot in 2012 who’ve selected their venue, palettes, wedding theme and even honeymoon, but not the dress. Make no mistake, wedding dress shopping can be challenging, but it should also be one of the most thrilling retail experience of your life. I mean how often are you out buying such a grand gown?!
For those of you searching, or yet to begin the hunt for your 2012 confection, here’s five big trends to consider.
1. Layers of Tulle. Love the cover of our sister magazine Fashion’s Winter 2012 issue? Us too! This voluminous Oscar de la Renta gown on one of our favourite Canadian supe’s Liisa Winkler (also a former Weddingbells cover girl) is a gorgeous example of the perfect tulle skirt of the mo. Airy, voluminous layers that swoosh when you sashay. LOVE.
2. Sleeves. This is one of the biggest trends in gown and and it’s high time! Thank you Duchess Catherine and Bella Swan for making sleeves fashionable again. From cap, to bracelet to full length, sleeves are sexy, sleek and super-hot in bridal.
3. Back Details. Sorry to reference Twilight again, but Bella’s Carolina Herrera Chantilly lace-backed gown completed with 152 buttons that run from neckline to hemline, is exactly the type of sexy back we’re loving for 2012. We love the concept of simple, classic tailoring in front and a revealing, unique design at the back.
4. Lace. It’s a wedding classic and delivers a perfect mix of femininity and fierceness. Lace can be ladylike, or sexy. Vintage or modern. Delicate or avant-garde. Quite simply it’s current favourite.
5. Minimal Adornment. Dresses in luxurious fabrics, but designed with minimal detailing (ie. no embroidery, crystals, sequins, pearls, etc) are hot and very modern. Simple designs let you got to town on blinged out statement accessories, even choosing to switch them up between ceremony and reception. Dressing up has never been so fun and fabulous.