Kate Middleton famously did her own wedding day makeup, and if it works for a duchess, it can certainly work for you. The buzz is that K. Mid has a pre-wedding lesson to get her makeup look, so we thought we’d treat you to one with one of the best in the biz. “On your wedding day, all eyes on you so it’s important you crate a makeup look that makes you feel beautiful and confident,” says Eddie Malter, official makeup artist for L’Oreal Paris Canada. We asked Eddie for some expert advice to help you get gorgeous—here are his six top tips.
1. Use a primer. “Before applying any makeup, use a primer first. A primer like L’Oreal Paris Magic Perfecting Base helps to smooth skin, minimize shine and keep foundation from fading which means a flawless complexion for your wedding day.”
2. Choose the right foundation. “Apply a long-wear foundation over your primer to create an all-day, gorgeous glow. It’s imperative to select a shade right for your complexion and skin type. If you have normal or combination skin than choose a creamy or liquid foundation. However, if you have very oily skin than opt for a powder-based foundation to help absorb oil and keep shine to a minimum. To add a bit of radiance to your skin, use a highlighter on top of your foundation on the high points of your face only including the forehead, cheekbones, bridge of your nose and chin”
3. Go easy on the eye shadow & liner. “On your wedding day you want to be spectacular, but today isn’t the day to go for something overly trendy and ultra-daring. Select an eye makeup look that suits you and the overall look you are trying to achieve for your wedding day. Remember you have to look at these wedding photos for the rest of your life – so, you don’t want to be too trendy and have a look that is out-dated in a few years. Plus being too heavy-handed with your eye shadow and eyeliner can make your eyes look tired and small. You want to create a beautiful, natural looking eye that makes your eyes pop without over-doing it.”
4. Use waterproof mascara. “I’ve yet to see a bride who does not shed a tear on her wedding day, so, be prepared and keep your eye makeup looking fresh by using a waterproof mascara. I LOVE L’Oreal Paris new Voluminous Million Lashes waterproof mascara!”
5. Create a pretty, pink flush. “Use an ultra-feminine shade of pink blush on the apples of your cheeks to create a beautiful wedding day flush. Lightly apply the colour using a small blush brush – as this provides you with more control to where you apply it and how much you use.”
6. Opt for a Glossy Perfect Pout. “For a fresh and gorgeous lip look that will take you from day to evening, use a long-wear lip gloss.”